Jail is one of the four corner spaces on a Monopoly Board. If in Jail, a player's turn is suspended until either the player rolls a double or pays to get out. If a player is 'Just Visiting', the Jail space is considered a 'safe' space, where nothing happens. The character on the square is "Jake the Jailbird".
Landing in Jail
You land in Jail if:
- Your piece lands on space marked "GO TO JAIL".
- You draw a Chance card marked "GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL" or Community Chest card marked "GO TO JAIL".
- You roll Doubles three times in succession in one move.
- A player sent to Jail cannot collect $200 salary in that move since, regardless of where his/her piece is or of the path of the board, he/she must move his/her piece DIRECTLY into Jail. A player's turn ends when he is sent to Jail.
- You may buy and erect houses and/or hotels, sell or buy property, collect rent, participate in auctions and deal with other players even though in Jail.
If a player is not "sent to Jail" but in the ordinary course of play reaches that space, he is "Just Visiting"; incurs no penalty, and moves ahead in the usual manner on his/her next turn.
To Get Out of Jail
A player gets out of Jail "early" by:
- Rolling Doubles on any of that player's next three turns in Jail. Whoever succeeds in doing this immediately moves forward the number of spaces shown by the throw. Even if doubles are rolled, the player does NOT take another turn.
- Using a "GET OUT OF JAIL FREE" card (possibly by purchasing from another player, at a price agreeable to both).
- Paying a $50 fine BEFORE throwing the dice for either the first turn or the second turn in Jail.
A player MUST NOT remain in Jail after his/her third turn (i.e., not longer than having three turns to play after being sent to Jail).
Immediately AFTER throwing the dice for his/her third turn, a player must pay a $50 fine unless he rolls Doubles. He then comes out and immediately moves forward from the Jail the number of spaces shown by his/her roll.
Note: Get Out of Jail Mini-Game allows for an alternative method for getting out of Jail.