These are the rules of Monopoly Deal.
How to win
Be the FIRST player to collect 3 full property sets of different colors.
What the game is about
Monopoly Deal is all about collecting properties and stealing from your opponents! Use Action cards to charge rent, swap cards, demand birthday money and lots more. Make sure you put lots of money into your personal bank - and remember other players will steal from you too!
- Remove the 4 Quick Start cards from the pack and hand them out for reference.
- Shuffle the rest of the cards together and deal 5 to each player, face down.
- Look at your cards, but keep them a secret!
- Put the remaining cards face down in the center to create the draw pile.
- Decide who goes first. Play continues clockwise.
On your turn
NOTE: The rule labeled 3 was moved to this point due to formatting issues.
- TAKE 2 CARDS from the draw pile and add them to your hand. Later in the game if you have no cards left, pick up 5 instead.
- PLAY UP TO 3 CARDS from your hand, onto the table in front of you. You don't have to play any cards if you don't want to. Play your 3 cards in any combination of the following: A, B, and/or C, in any order (see WHAT THE GAME LOOKS LIKE, below).
- END YOUR TURN
If you have more than 7 cards in your hand at the end of your turn (not including cards on the table) discard extras to the bottom of the draw pile so you only have 7. If you've run out of cards, take 5 at the start of your next turn.
A: Put Money/Bank cards into your own Bank
Players can charge each other for rent, birthdays etc. Build up a 'Bank' pile in front of you, using Money cards and/or Action cards.
- If you charge rent off a monopoly with a house, you CANNOT make the house money at any point unless the opposing player charges rent and you have used all the money in your bank pile.
- If you put an action card into your bank, it becomes redundant as an Action card for the rest of the game. If you use it to pay another player, it must go straight into their bank and cannot be used for its Action. However, if a player pays with a house/hotel, it can be placed on the opposing players' monoply if they have one. Otherwise, the player has the option of placing it in their bank pile or waiting until they have a Monopoly to put it on.
B: Put down Properties into your own collection
REMEMBER, 3 DIFFERENT-COLORED PROPERTY SETS WIN THE GAME!
- Wild cards may be switched around when wanted, even if they are in a set! It is up to the group of players to decide if they want to count each of these moves as half turn or not because 3 or 4 cards can be moved in one turn to give one play an incredible advantage. This can only be done on that players turn.
C: Play Action cards into the center
FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE ACTION CARDS!
- Action cards allow you to do things such as charge other players rent, steal their cards and demand money for your birthday!
- If you pick up an Action card on your turn, you can play it right away as one of your three cards or use it on a later turn.
- Action cards can also be put into your bank as money. The value is shown in the corner, in a red ring.
(See THE CARDS IN MORE DETAIL for more info).
IMPORTANT! How to pay other players
- Cards can NEVER go back to a player's hand.
- NEVER pay with cards from your hand, only from the cards in front of you.
- NEVER pay with property from full set.
- You can pay with cards from your bank, properties, or a combination of both. You choose how to pay - not the player you're paying!
- All cards on the table are subject to being stolen. Sly deals and forced deals cannot steal a card that is part of a full set, but they can steal any other card.
- Change is NOT given! For example, if a player charges you 2M rent and you only have a 3M card in your bank, you don't get change. Too Bad!
- If you pay with property cards, they must go into the other player's property collection.
- If you have no cards in front of you, you don't pay at all!
TO WIN, BE THE FIRST PLAYER TO COLLECT 3 FULL PROPERTY SETS OF DIFFERENT COLORS ON THE END OF THE TURN.
The cards in more detail
Main article: Monopoly Deal#The Cards In More Detail